Saskatoon Small Claims Project
On a project basis in February 2012, the Judicial Centre of Saskatoon developed an information package to guide lawyers and self-represented litigants alike concerning Small Claims procedure in its Judicial Centre. The package has been simplified and is now being made available electronically.
The procedure and forms available here, while similar in many respects to the procedure throughout Saskatchewan, is for use in the Judicial Centre of Saskatoon only.
Actions are organized in three categories. The category determines the procedure:
1. Claims over $5,000.00,
2. Claims for $5,000.00 or less, and
3. Motor Vehicle Claims
Checklists for Plaintiffs and Defendants in each of these categories provide information you are most likely to need. If you have further questions after reviewing the Checklist applicable to your type of claim, please go to the detailed Practice Guide. Small Claims office staff may also assist you. Legal advice may be obtained from a lawyer.
The Simplified Trial Project, applicable to claims for $5,000 or less and motor vehicle claims, has enabled the Court to provide early trial dates. Other practices were adopted to insure timely and full disclosure of information and promote effective and efficient case management and trial.
Materials listed below were prepared for use in Small Claims Court in the Judicial Centre of Saskatoon.
The Checklists are the starting point. These quick guides to the process as a Plaintiff or Defendant list commonly used forms and samples at the end of each Checklist. These materials are available for downloading under Forms and Samples below. Begin with the Checklist as a Plaintiff or Defendant that is appropriate to your claim:
- C1.P Plaintiff Checklist - Claims over $5,000.00
- C1.D Defendant Checklist - Claims over $5,000.00
- C2.P Plaintiff Checklist – Claims for $5,000.00 or less
- C2.D Defendant Checklist – Claims for $5,000.00 or less
- C3.P Plaintiff Checklist – Motor Vehicle Claims
- C3.D Defendant Checklist – Motor Vehicle Claims
These are the forms referred to in the Checklists and Practice Guide. They are in Microsoft Word format for you to download and complete.
- F2 – Document List
- F3 – Trial Statement
- F4.1 – Statement of Plaintiff’s Claim – General Use
- F4.2 – Statement of Plaintiff’s Claim – Motor Vehicle Claim
- F5 – Statement of Defence
- F6 – Counterclaim
- F6.1 – Statement of Defence and Counterclaim
- F7 – Affidavits of Service
- F8 – Third Party Claim
- F9 – Application to Set Aside a Judgment
- F10 – Notice of Appeal
- F10.1 – Transcript Letter
- F11 – Notice to Withdraw Action
These sample documents are designed to assist you by way of example, when completing the forms appropriate to your action.
- S1.1 – Demand Letter – General
- S1.2 – Demand Letter – Motor Vehicle Claim
- S2 – Document List
- S3.1 – Trial Statement – Claims $5,000.00 or Less
- S3.2 – Trial Statement – Motor Vehicle Claim
- S4 – Clauses describing Plaintiffs & Defendants
- S5.1 – Statement of Claim – Motor Vehicle Claim
- S5.2 – Statement of Claim – Goods
- S5.3 – Statement of Claim – Services
- S5.4 – Statement of Claim – Loan
- S5.5 – Statement of Claim – NSF Cheque
- S5.6 – Statement of Claim – Workmanship
- S5.7 – Statement of Claim – House Transaction
- S6.1 – Statement of Defence – General
- S6.2 – Statement of Defence – Workmanship - See S5.6 Claim
- S7 – Statement of Defence and Counterclaim – Services - See S5.3 Claim
- S8 – Third Party Claim – Workmanship – See S5.6 Claim
Judges' Orders and Court Forms
These are provided for information purposes only.
Saskatoon Small Claims Practice Guide
This is a general guide to Small Claims practice in the Saskatoon Judicial Centre. It incorporates the checklist information and adds to it. Once you have downloaded the Guide, you may quickly access topics by opening the bookmarks and double clicking on the headings. The Table of Contents is provided to give you an idea of the breadth of topics covered in the Guide.